Myles Smiled on You Award
Up to $5,000
The Mislavsky/Martinez Family established the“Myles Smiled on You” Award in loving memory of Myles Mislavsky. Myles was an amazing human being. Witty, charismatic, giving and loyal…these words merely scratch the surface in describing Myles. He made a lasting impact on the lives of those around him and was committed to helping others. He radiated joy with a smile so infectious that even on your worst days, he lifted your spirit. People were drawn to Myles and were better having known him. Myles was involved in many activities at MHS, including soccer, wrestling, orchestra and other clubs and graduated in 2013.
This award, for higher education loan reduction, will be given to deserving MHS alumni who exemplify Myles’ many positive characteristics. It was created to reduce the burden of debt many students carry after college making it hard for them to save and get ahead. The Mislavsky/Martinez family wishes to have Myles “smile” on the recipients by providing debt relief. The award is funded by family, friends and the Golden Bagel Runners who knew and loved Myles.
This award is open to all Morristown High School alumni - Class of 2009 and after - who have graduated from a college, university or trade school and have student loans.
- To be considered for this award, the Morristown High School alum must:
- Have graduated from a 2 or 4 year college or university or trade school.
- Meet the application requirements set forth below.
- In 2019, this scholarship will be awarded to multiple alumni who graduated after 2009, at least one of whom graduated with Myles (2013).
- Payment will be made to the financial institution(s) holding the loan(s).
- Complete the MEF “Myles Smiled on You” Award Online Application
- Complete the Financial Information Supplement which documents student loans
- Complete the following Supplemental Essays (250 words or less each):
- How have you dealt with challenging situations (mental or physical health, or other) and how did you or are you dealing with those challenges?
- Describe how you have demonstrated empathy toward others.
- What do you do to help your family/community?
- Provide a letter of recommendation that talks about you personally and addresses your character.
Please submit applications by October 31. Winner announced in December 2019.