James B. Galbraith, Jr. Scholarship - $2,000
The James B. Galbraith, Jr. Scholarship was established to celebrate the legacy of Mr. Galbraith’s 37-year career as an outstanding educator at Morristown High School and his love for teaching. A former biology teacher, department chair and principal at MHS, Mr. Galbraith initiated the first Advanced Placement (AP) course at MHS, AP Biology. Mr. Galbraith was a dedicated teacher who spent many extra hours including weekends mentoring his students. After many years in the classroom, Mr. Galbraith became the principal at MHS, where he served until his retirement. This scholarship has been established by Mr. Galbraith’s children and their families.
The scholarship will be open to all students who are pursuing a biology major at a four-year college. Applicants must demonstrate creativity, kindness, and an ability to work within a team, attributes the scholarship’s namesake valued and possessed; and have a weighted GPA of 3.4 or higher. The scholarship must be used to pay tuition at an accredited 4-year college or university.
To be considered for this scholarship, the Morristown High School senior must:
- Submit a complete MEF Common Scholarship Application online
- Have a weighted GPA of 3.4
- Apply to or have been accepted by an accredited 4-year college or university
- Be pursuing a major in biology
- Demonstrate creativity, kindness, and an ability to work within a team
- MEF Common Scholarship Application with current transcript
- Complete the following Supplemental Essays (250 words or less each):
- Why are you pursuing studies in biology?
- Describe a time when you demonstrated kindness that positively impacted a peer.
- Provide two letters of recommendation that address why this student should be chosen for this scholarship.