George and Michele Becker Scholarship - $12,000 ($3,000 annually for 4 years)
$12,000 ($3,000/year for up to four years)
The George and Michele Becker Scholarship is awarded to a graduating Morristown High School Senior in the amount of $3,000 per year and is renewable up to four years of education beyond high school. George and Michele Becker are longtime Morristown residents who are committed to education and our area schools. Professionals with careers in healthcare, finance, management, they understand the importance of science, technology, engineering and math for one’s career path. The Beckers are active community leaders involved in many area organizations. They have enjoyed rewarding careers in these fields and have generously established The George and Michele Becker Scholarship through the Morris Educational Foundation.
The scholarship will be open to all students who are pursuing STEM field in college studies. Preference will be given to students underrepresented in STEM careers (i.e., women, underrepresented minorities and students with special needs). Financial need will be taken into consideration. The scholarship must be used to pay tuition and related expenses at an accredited 2 or 4-year college or university. If the criteria continue to be met, the recipient may also qualify for the same amount for the second, third and fourth years of college attendance.
In order to be considered for the Scholarship, the student, who is a senior, must:
- Submit online or type a completed scholarship application
- Have a minimum weighted GPA of 3.0
- Apply to and/or been accepted by an accredited 2 or 4-year college or university,
- Plan to study science, technology, engineering or math in college
- Has participation and leadership in activities at MHS and outside of school, including those that demonstrate interest in exploring science, technology, engineering or math interests
In order to qualify for continuance of the $3,000 award each subsequent year the student must submit:
- A college transcript grade report, maintaining a 3.0 GPA
- A college schedule for subsequent years at school
- MEF Common Scholarship Application
- Supplemental Questions:
- Write about your vision for a future STEM career and why you are considering the field for an area of study or possible career path
- Who is your role model in the field of STEM and why?
- Financial Information Application Supplement
- Provide one letter of recommendation that addresses why student should be chosen for this scholarship.